Tuesday 3 April 2012

Flutterby - 14 Students at Trowell Village Hall

22nd March - I was invited by Broxstowe Borough Council to teach a full day workshop as part of their "Take Part Art" events programme.


14 students spent the day creating creative with the Flutterby theme. Here are just a few examples of the finished works and descriptions.


This is David's Dragonfly - a wonderfully sculpted image, created in wire, simple colours were added with glass powders, confetti and mica powders. I had my concerns, technically I mean, I thought the wire design might catch air bubbles, but David was happy to just see what happened. I love to teach students like this - less pressure on me I think!

A tile by Grace - this photo doesn't do it justice but the dichroic glass pieces, placed in this mosaic effect is stunning! I can't be the only one who loves sparkle! I love the process of piecing together small pieces of coloured glass and use it a lot in my own work as well as teaching a 1/2 day Jewellery course I have titled "Mosaic Pendants & Earrings". I think it is just a great way of playing with colour and shape and each pieces is 100% unique!


Finally for this blog post, although you can see the whole photo album on my facebook page, is this hanging my Helen Domleo. Not sticking with the theme but I loved Helens use of wire, you can tell she is a very talented Jeweller. I suggested she bash the wire stems with a hammer and a metal plate to flatten them slightly. I find this helps to stiffen the wire, so it doesn't bounce around so much and it gives a really interesting texture/raw edge rather than the smooth round wire. I am going to develop list more as a process as recent sampling in my own practise has thrown up some interested results!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great to know what you think!

Examples of Stevie's Kiln Fused Glass work